The Dream Job Project


Logo design by Alex Knowlton


Imagine, if you will
You recently got a big inheritance (or won the lottery), so you have no money worries and don't have to work. 
But you want to stay busy doing something that you love so much that you don't care if you earn a paycheck.  So, you choose your "dream job," and now you practically skip to your place of business.
You have so much enthusiasm and limitless personal and professional satisfaction that you’ve never been happier going to work every day.   
You wish everyone was as happy and fulfilled as you.  You wish you had found this job sooner.

Reality:
Truth is, you don't need to have gobs of money in the bank to have a career that fires you up.
What's your passion?  What are you good at?  What's your dream?
Find what that is for you, and figure out a way to get paid for it.
Most people need to work until retirement age, so we might as well do something that lights us up. 
So think BIG.  Make a plan to do it.  Start today, and make the commitment to work at it.  Jump over the hurdles and obstacles and find the important lessons in them.  Tell anyone who'll listen what your dream is, because you never know.    And as Winston Churchill said, "Never, ever give up."
Proof
I decided (at the age of 28 and a single mother of two elementary school-aged children), that I would complete my education with a Master's degree in Counseling by the time I was 40.  My chosen dream job was to work as a mental health counselor on a college campus in the Capital District. 
Long story short, I received my Master's on my 41st birthday, and worked at local colleges in jobs somewhat related to counseling.  I made myself visible on campus.  I kept a positive attitude and professional image.  I volunteered at a college Counseling Center three nights a week.  I told everyone (including the Counseling Center supervisor and college president) that I wanted a position as a mental health counselor at that college. 
Three years later, my dream came true.  The college created a new position and they hired me.  I still pinch myself!
I love what I do, and as long as my salary covers my expenses with a little left over for a rainy day, I'm good.  I don't do it to be rich or famous.  I do it because I can't imagine doing anything else.  That feeling is one I hope everybody had.
Including you.




(c)2013 Robyn M. Posson. All Rights Reserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment