Soft Skill Hack: What's the Magic Word?


One of my favorite pasttimes is people-watching.  I like sitting in the Commons or at the mall and just watch how people behave when they are alone and how they interact and treat others.  I find behavior fascinating, and I learn something new about human nature every day.  Most of the time my faith in the kindness in people is strengthened; other times, not so much.


In a previous blog entry, I talked about how important soft skills are to the success of your job search and career as a whole.  Under the category of "Good Communication" is basic manners.  You know, saying please and thank you, holding a door open for someone coming in behind you, speaking in calm and quiet voice, refraining from texting or taking a phone call when someone is speaking, offering to help someone who dropped their books or is carrying a heavy load.  (Basic stuff.)


It takes no more effort to use manners when dealing with other people than it does to be impolite, and the outcome of those kinds of interaction are always positive.  Yet I've witnessed countless students walk by someone who's having trouble opening a door, letting a door slam in someone's face, barking orders to other students, and screaming at or threatening a college employee when something doesn't go in the student's favor.  It's sad.  Very sad.  And it makes me furious.  (Crazy stuff.)


However, when I see acts of kindness and good manners being used, I have hope.  The majority of our college community uses good manners in their everyday dealings with others.  Campus life is much improved when we treat (and are treated by) everyone we encounter with kindness and respect.  An added bonus is these skills will come in very handy when snagging a dream job, keeping it, and moving up the ladder of success. (Good stuff.) 


Doesn't it feel good when someone shows you respect and you don't feel personally attacked or embarrassed?  It does for me, and I'd wager you'd agree.  So, if it feels good to you, imagine how great you could make someone else feel today by offering kindness and respect.  In a nutshell, if we all followed the "do unto others" philosophy, our world would be in a much better place.  (Great stuff.)













...for visiting my blog.  It's greatly appreciated.









Question:  Have you witnessed interactions where good manners were used?  Any examples of people who treat others with disrespect?   


All images courtesy of Google Images, unless otherwise noted.
(c)2012 Robyn M. Posson

0 comments:

Post a Comment