Life Skills Hack: What...ME worry???

I was at a wedding this weekend, and made small talk with a very nervous groom-to-be.  I asked him about the cause of his jitters, and he replied, "I hope the weather stays nice, and that it doesn't rain."

Five minutes from being married, and he was worried about the weather.

I asked, "How many times in your life did worrying about the weather affect it?"  "None," he said, with a sheepish look on his face.  "Exactly," I replied, and wished him lots of fun on his wedding day and honeymoon. 

Worry is, in a word, stupid. 

Yes, I said stupid.  Pointless.  Useless.  A huge waste of time.
   
When we worry, the stress hormone, cortisol (the same one that's helps us in a fight-or-flight situation) is released into the bloodstream, and as we continue to dwell on and obsess, the levels of cortisol stay the same or are reduced only slightly, which can do a number on your body.  All too often, I see the ravages of chronic worry where people make themselves physically and emotionally ill.  Sometimes, when I find myself in a worry spiral, I can't think of anything but the focus of my concern, I get a huge headache and my sleep gets jacked up.

[Even counselors are stupid sometimes.]

We're not born knowing how to worry; we learn from watching other people.  It comes from our unrealistic need to control everything:  our relationships, money, career paths, where we live, how we live, and so on. 

Here's the kicker, though: 

We have no power over the outcome of anything with which we concern ourselves.

Say it with  me:  "Worrying doesn't change a damn thing."

Worry saps you of your precious energy, consumes your mind so it's prevented from focusing on what you can control, and it never, ever affects how things will turn out. 

Admittedly, worry is a tough habit to break.  I recommend focusing on the things we have power over, such as the food we eat, whether we exercise, or how much money to spend on a new pair of shoes.

So if you're a worrier, get outta that stupid rocking chair.  Spend time figuring out what you really have control over, and focus on THAT.

All images courtesy of Google Images, unless otherwise noted.
(c) 2011-2016 Robyn King.  All Rights Reserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment